Saturday, October 26, 2013

so easy a husband can do it

Hello friends!

It's been a long, long while since I've blogged! Last you heard from me I'd been put on bed rest. Once my pregnancy took a turn from your normal, run of the mill pregnancy into a high-risk one, a part of me shut down a little bit. I sort of flip-flopped between days of anxiety and the blues. It was hard not knowing what would happen to baby, or be able to engage with my family or job in the way I am accustomed. I missed working, I missed playing with my kids, I even missed cleaning my house! I tried to focus on the positive and tackle some "lap projects" like organizing photo albums and writing some letters, but truth be told, I was in a bit of a slump. That's when I tend to retreat, and that's why the blog has been quiet. I'd rather be a Silent Sally than a Debbie Downer.

I am now 37 weeks pregnant - my due date is a few short weeks away, and miraculously every complication we faced improved. On Monday, I was bumped down from high-risk pregnancy to a "go ahead and do whatever you want!" status from my doctor. Ironically by this stage, I am so pooped, I just went home to celebrate with a nap. ;) I wish I could have the last few months back, knowing what I know now - that every issue will clear up and it will all be ok - I could go back and enjoy being pregnant with that information. But I'll just go ahead and be grateful for these last few weeks of a now healthy pregnancy and cherish every kick and hiccup until the little man arrives and I get to cradle him in my arms instead of in my big belly.

Anyway, while I've been working on my latest project (Baby Owen)  - Hubby has had a major to-do list. We've both been nesting and that means getting every last nook and cranny cleaned and organized - and with another baby comes lots more stuff and we needed somewhere to put it all. Owen needed a dresser for all those little onesies and booties and teeny tiny socks. <3 <3 <3

Hubby scored a waterfall dresser from a thrift shop and brought it home to show me. This is probably one of my least favorite styles of furniture, so even when he beamed with pride at only paying $10 for it and talked of plans of us repainting it for Owen, I was smiling at him and thinking "Oh no, look how excited he is...crap..."

The good thing was - we needed lots of storage EVERYWHERE, including the garage! We "agreed" that he could keep it there - which happened to work perfectly because he needed somewhere to keep his tools. Isn't compromise a wonderful thing? lol.

When my hubby was done with his piece I had to eat my words. I totally reconsidered the nursery theme to make it car or travel themed, just so I could use my hubby's kick ass piece of art, but...turns out he liked it better in the garage too. (& I think there could have been a small dash of spite in his decision to keep it for himself.)




Hubby used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in "Typewriter." The paint did not chip (as milk paint is famous for doing) because of how porous the wood was to begin with - so the adhesion was awesome! Hubby did two lighter coats within an hour of the other, and finished with a coat of hemp oil. This was his first time working with milk paint - and he did it all by himself. Mixing, painting and the final hemp oil coat.

I love the MMSMP Hemp Oil - if you haven't used it yet, you must! I find that large, flat surfaces like on a waterfall dresser are easy enough to wax - but if you have anything intricate, you can brush on the hemp oil, wipe it down and BE DONE WITH IT. On all the projects hubby tackled while I watched from the sidelines, he used hemp oil and he's now a huge fan. Plus, if you oil the drawers, they come out looking so fresh and new and clean, it's amazing.



I love the way he painted the Route 66 asymmetrically and had it wrap around the side. I just heart him and his mad skills. (Might I add; he FREEHANDED the sign. Seriously. I think he was revenge painting just so I would zip it for his next project.)

Anywho - I hope you guys enjoyed this project done in Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint's color of the month. October's color is Typewriter - have you used it yet? What was your experience like?

 And how about giving my hubby some props? Maybe at least for having to put up with me? ;)

*Cheesy self-promotion time*

Remember, you can order Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint online from me at:

www.stellarjunk.storenvy.com

OR you can visit the milk paint section of the fabulous Adjectives Market in Altamonte Springs, FL.

We're going to be working on a milk paint class schedule for after I pop out this baby - so if you're waiting to take one in the Central Florida area - they are coming soon!
Ok friends, I hope everything is going well in your worlds!

Happy painting!

Jess

8 comments:

  1. He did an amazing job!! I love it. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess! I'm SO SO SO happy to hear pregnancy is now normal! What spectacular news this is :0) I guess since you're ready to pop any day now, I'd better get these cute little baby goodies in the mail for Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great makeover. Way to go DH. Glad you can get up and do a few things (few?) now and be off bed rest. Take care of you.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've both done a great job - you at doing all the right things to make sure Owen arrives safe and sound and hubby at creating a cool dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great dresser! Love the Route 66- perfect manly project. Take care of you and glad all is going well. Looking forward to the milk paint class. I've been wanting to start using MMS paint so will definitely be interested. Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giving the husband props, great job. It is perfect for a tool/garage storage unit.Good luck with the birth of Owen. Glad you will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sucha marvellous news that all is now well with the baby due so soon... these last few days will rush by, then action stations all round...I feel for you having had all that worry, but its great that you can relax now and just plan to get him out as soon as you can.. I envy you still having that joy of meeting your little one for the first time... I enjoyed those occasions five times, and could have had many more if I had been able to afford... the pain is forgotten in the joy of meeting.. I hope that you will have a happy life with all your family and that the new arrival brings great joy to you all... hugs from across the pond.. janzi...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me
    Wayfair Coupons

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, LOVE your comments! Let's hear 'em!