Saturday, July 23, 2011

Followers, Welcome! + Emma's Farmhouse Chic Makeover.

Holy Moly, I have followers. Welcome! I am soooo excited you are here. It seems a little different blogging when you know (& hope?? lol) that people are reading but I'm going to keep it real nonetheless.

Which is why I am now going to post a project that I'm not entirely in love with. When I started this blog, I thought I would be posting projects that would knock everyone's socks off, but, I suppose that's not reality. Sometimes projects just suck. Color choice is hard, ideas don't pan out the way you want...that's Emma's cue.

I picked her out of my neighbor's garbage. (see post http://stellarjunk.blogspot.com/2011/07/turd-polishing.html) Sometimes I just can't turn down free. It's a problem, really, because truth be told, quality in means quality out. And even though my husband said this was a monstrosity straight from 1985, gold lacquer piping and all - I decided to take her on. (I love a challenge, and the hub's comment was only fuel on the fire.)

He may have been right. I'm sort of happy with it. But it's not like, a love affair where I am sad to see her go, or feeling like hoarding her all to myself. I think I did the best for her that I could. I am reminded of several expressions - of course I have already referenced turd polishing, but also the old adage about putting lipstick on a pig. I'm curious to hear your thoughts, 6 wonderful followers of mine. Am I being too hard on myself? Or poor Emma?

Here are the before & afters:

Before - You see her in all her garbagey glory. Glass inserts which interestingly enough, were intact when I found her, but I broke one. Grrr. So they needed replacing. And I wasn't about to spend the $14 the local glass company was charging. So my wheels started turning. I had a lot of grandiose ideas, but, I didn't know if I wanted to invest the time in custom building planter boxes or whatever.


So I had two pieces of wood cut to size at Lowe's and painted them to match. A little stencil action on top (not usually my style, I haven't stenciled since I was probably in elementary school, but I think the tops needed something special.)


I think it's pretty cute, actually. Here it is all set up in my house.


And here's a few close-ups of the details.





Voila. Hideous 80's table meets farmhouse chic. So what do you think?




27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out great! I can tell you certainly aren't afraid of color and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom had that same table in her TV room. Since her passing away one sister took it and used it , got all new furniture didn't want it so another sister is using it in her sewing room.

    I love it painted, sorry you broke your glass piece but it looks great

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glass would have only held you back! You did a fab job. It looks great.
    Following you.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think "perfection"! Red is my favorite color and the punches of it here are glorious!

    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job and I think the glass would not have been as cute! Besides the boys might have dropped something on it and hurt themselves. Now they're totally safe! ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable side table i would love to feature it on my revival monday. please let me know if this would be ok.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello commenters! Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback. It is very much appreciated! I hope you continue to like my projects. :) I have a few in the works now and I can't wait to blog about them.

    And to Lauren, feature away! Thanks so much. Feel free to post a link or something in a future comment so I/we can check it out. I'd also be happy to grab your button. If you want to email me, it's stellarjunk@hotmail.com Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the stuff and what you do with it...it is inspiring....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found you through your comment on Robyn's giveaway. I love to paint furniture, too, but no place to sell as of yet. Maybe eventually. Love what you did to this piece. Good idea to share what kind of paint and what colors you used. I have a weekly party you could share your makeovers at, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an incredible transformation! You have a great eye! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun makeover! I love that you used red crates on the bottom to echo the color on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank You! Thank You! I inherited that exact table w/ matching coffee table. I was wondering what to do with them. Now I know. Did you remove the beatiful brass framing around the edges?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love all your feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to make comments.

    @Wileyfamilyof5, nope, the brass is still there. It's just sanded down, primed and painted over. I picked at it a little to ensure that the paint would stick, so it should hold up. I had other ideas I really wanted to try, but was afraid they would end up too fussy, so I kept it simple. :)

    @ Kim @ Savvy Southern Style, I used Sherwin Willaim's paints for Emma. The main color is "Casa Blanca" and the red is "Positive Red" - however I must also tell you that there is loads of dark wax on the main white parts to antique it, and the red pieces have all had black either dry brushed on, or added in dabs while wet and painted into the red as I worked to create the rustic-y barn look. Hope that helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here from Better After ~ this is sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a transformation...just saw this on Better After. I see these so often in thrift stores and have never thought twice about picking them up...maybe I will now. Hmmmm.....I'm getting all sorts of ideas for other 80's tables re-dos.. :-)
    Thanks for the great project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! I recently just started a blog too and it looks like yours is off to a great start! Keep up the hard work! I love "refabbing" also, I am about to post my hutch refab in the next week, hope you will check it out and give me and andvice!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw a feature of you and had to stop by to say how much I LOVE your table! WHO would have guessed a table like that could look SO aMaZING!!! I am sincerely wishing I had that beautiful piece (or something like it) in my house right now. You have so inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfection!!!! Love you blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this. Great idea to use the baskets below and make them the color of the insets. What a good eye you have there!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Candy! I appreciate that!

      Delete
  22. I am so glad I found this redo you beautifully pulled off. I have a friend who is moving a and pulled two side tables of the same style and era out to get rid of. I would love to know what technique you used to antique these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cort! thanks!
      When I did these tables, I painted them with a creamy latex shade, then took a darker shade of brown and wiggled it into all the cracks and crevices, making sure to wipe away any excess. You can also achieve this look using chalk paint and dark wax. :)
      Have fun!

      Delete

I love, love, LOVE your comments! Let's hear 'em!